4 ½ cups gluten-free baking flour
2 cups unsweetened organic cocoa powder
3 teaspoons baking soda
¾ teaspoon Himalayan salt
2 cups water
1 ½ cup non-dairy milk (Use your favorite plant-based milk. Try nut or coconut milk)
½ cup + 1 tablespoons melted vegan butter or coconut oil
¾ cup coconut sugar
¾ cup pure Grade A maple syrup
3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Prepare three 9-inch round cake pans as follows: coat with softened vegan butter or coconut oil, then dust completely with the cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients then set them aside.
- Add water and non-dairy milk (nut or coconut milk) to a small saucepan over low heat until warmed.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients until well incorporated.
- Gradually add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Whisk until just mixed. Make sure there are no dry patches of flour, but be sure not to overmix.
- Pour batter evenly into the three prepared cake pans. Slightly tap the pans to even out the batter and release any bubbles that may have formed in the batter.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean.
- Place pans on a cooling rack to cool for 30 minutes. Remove cakes from the pans and allow them to cool completely before frosting (about 45-60minutes).
- Frost cake and add vegan chocolate shaving or chips as garnish, as desired.