- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cups uncooked Arborio rice
- 2 cups white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter or vegan butter
- 1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese (or vegan parmesan cheese)
- 24 asparagus spears, cut into pieces
- Salt, as needed
1. Bring broth to boil in a medium saucepan; reduce heat and simmer.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan. Add onion, reduce heat, and sauté for 1 minute. Add rice and cook, stirring to coat, about 2 minutes.
3. Add half of simmered broth to rice and cook, stirring constantly, until the rice absorbs the broth, about 6-8 minutes. Add remaining broth and simmer, stirring, until broth is absorbed, another 6-8 minutes. Add wine and simmer, stirring, until risotto is creamy and the rice is tender. Add pepper(s), butter and cheese.
4. Steam asparagus until tender, about 4 minutes; add to risotto.
5. Garnish with fresh microgreens or herbs of choice