Want to make your healthier version of one of your favorite comfort foods?? Try my yummy gluten free, vegan, cauliflower crust pizza!!
Cauliflower Crust Pizza
- Total Time: 2 minute
- Yield: 6
4 C cauliflower small florets (this is approx. ½ medium cauliflower; also defrosted frozen riced cauliflower works also)
1 ½ tsp baking power
2 ½ TB ground flaxseed or ground chia seed (can substitute with egg replacer; if using organic free range eggs instead – 1 whole egg + 1 egg white)
¼ C filtered water
1/3 C gluten free four (you can use a GF blend or spelt, cassava, spelt, oat, almond, chickpea, coconut, etc)
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning blend (can use 1 tsp of dried oregano or rosemary or basil, as preferred) – OMIT this if you’re making a pizza that is not Italian
1 tsp garlic powder (or if you have fresh roasted garlic, even better!)
1 tsp onion powder
2 TB nutritional yeast (OPTIONAL for a cheesier flavor for fully vegan crust)
½ tsp himalayan pink salt
Black pepper, to taste
Parchment paper or Silpat (silicone baking mat)
Cheese cloth or thin kitchen towel (for draining steamed cauliflower)
- Preheat oven to 450F
- If following the Vegan recipe, whisk the ground flaxseed or ground chia seeds in with the ¼ C of filtered water and set aside in the refrigerator for 30min (if you are time-crunched and you didn’t do this process in advance, you CAN just add the ground flaxseed directly into the dough, but it may yield slightly different results and the crust might not hold together as well)
- Steam the cauliflower florets until they are soft (falling apart). Allow to cool.
- Using cheesecloth or a think kitchen towel, wring/drain the water out of the cauliflower completely. You may need to portion the cauliflower out to do this, so you can get the maximize drain.
- In a medium bowl, mash the drained cauliflower and combine the ground flaxseed and water mixture with the cauliflower. Mix well.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the GF flour, baking powder, dry seasonings, salt, nutritional yeast (if using), pinch of freshly ground black pepper. Use a whisk or fork to mix well.
- Add the cauliflower mixture to the flour mixture. Combine well and form the dough into a ball.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. (If using parchment paper, grease it with a little bit of avocado oil)
- Place the dough onto the lined baking sheet, and gently pat it into a circle with your hands. Place another silicone pat or parchment paper on top of the dough and using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to about 1/4” thickness. (You can definitely just use your hands with this step, but the rolling pin creates a more even crust).
- Remove the top parchment paper and place sheet into the oven for 25 minutes or until the edges are just slightly brown and crispy.
- Add your favorite toppings and bake another 8-10 minutes. You can also do a very quick broil if you just want to melt the cheese.
** FOR A CRISPIER CRUST: Flip over the crust after the 25 minutes, reduce oven to 400F and bake another 3 minutes before adding toppings and baking the extra 8-10min. Remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
** If using precooked toppings (ie: roasted veggies, cooked meats (for non-vegans), etc) the cook-time may be shorter than 8-10minutes after the crust is ready.
- Your favorite pizza toppings!
- Vegan mozzarella (Follow Your Heart; Miyoko’s, Chao, TreeLine, KiteHill, VioLife)
- Regular cheese okay for non-vegan option (but will produce more oil)
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 35-45