Try this simple recipe for a healthier version of a hot summer day favorite – chocolate ice cream! You can also get creative and have fun with your optional add-ins!Print
Vegan Chocolate Spiced Ice Cream (NO CHURN)
Prep: 20 minutes
Freeze: 3-8+ hours
28 oz coconut cream, unsweetened
½ C unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder
12 oz pitted dates (Mejool dates are great)
1 T pure vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp ground Ceylon cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg (optional)
1/2 cup full-fat unsweetened coconut milk or cashew milk
- Place a large mixing bowl in the freezer to chill for 10 minutes.
- In separate bowl, soak pitted dates in warm water until moist – about 10-12 minutes, drain.
- Blend dates in food processor (or blender), until it forms a thick paste, add a little bit of warm water, if necessary, to achieve consistency.
- Add coconut cream in chilled mixing bowl.
- Using a mixer, whip until coconut cream until creamy and smooth.
- Add to the coconut cream the cocoa powder, vanilla, cardamom, cinnamon, coconut milk, and date paste. Whip until combined.
- Taste and adjust flavors as needed.
- Transfer to a silicone or parchment-lined freezer-safe glass or metal container and cover loosely with parchment or silicone, then place in freezer.
- Freeze for 3-4 hours for a soft-serve or mousse like consistency. Freeze 8 hours or overnight for a firmer consistency.
- Before service, allow to thaw for 10-15 minutes.
- Before scooping, dip scooper or spoon in hot water.
- Will keep in the freezer for up to one week, but best when fresh.