YOUR LONGEVITY SQUAD
You may think that illness, disease and bodily decline are automatically in your future as you age. However, you can alter the way you eat, move your body, think, and relate to others to eventually reverse cellular damage (the cause of aging)! It’s never too late to adopt a longevity lifestyle or fuel your body with specific longevity-supportive nutrients… and it’s also never too early to start.
Decline in the body may look like low energy levels, hormonal imbalances, blood sugar imbalances, weight issues, brain fog, or loneliness. This could indicate that damage is being done to your cells, and that your longevity is headed in the wrong direction.
Ideally, your daily life is characterized by health, purpose, and vibrancy! I recommend adopting longevity habits and supporting your body with nutrients that have been shown to heal years of damage, prevent chronic disease, and reverse biological age.
I’ve spent the past several years putting together a line of supplements to support longevity and am so excited to finally share them with you!
HOW NUTRITION CAN COMBAT AGING
Your body has built-in mechanisms and linked responses to both repair and heal itself. Frequently referred to as “longevity pathways,” these are activated by certain nutrients or adversity, commanding your cells to revert back to their properly functioning states.
According to Dr. David Sinclair’s “Information Theory of Aging,” aging is simply a loss of information in your cells. Meaning, they’ve forgotten how to properly function, where they belong, or how to repair themselves.
This happens due to external factors called epigenetics. The goal with preventing or reversing aging is to get your cells back to their original blueprint which is encoded within the DNA and RNA of each cell. Here are a few ways proper nutrition can help with the “loss of information.”
- Antioxidants and Inflammation: Nutrition can help combat oxidative stress and reduce inflammation, two major contributors to cellular damage and aging, by providing an abundance of antioxidants.
- DNA Repair and Protection: Nutrition can support DNA repair mechanisms, which help protect against age-related damage to genetic material.
- Cellular Senescence: Nutrition can influence cellular senescence, a process in which cells stop dividing, become dysfunctional, and turn into harmful “senescent cells.”
- Mitochondrial Function: Nutrition can optimize mitochondrial function, the powerhouses of cells which play a crucial role in longevity by maintaining cellular energy production, regulating metabolic processes, and mitigating oxidative stress.
- Gut Microbiome: Nutrition can promote a healthy gut microbiome, the community of bacteria that resides in our intestines. A healthy gut microbiome plays a crucial role in immune function, nutrient absorption, cognition, mental health, heart health, and other important markers of health as we age.
- Hormonal Balance: Nutrition can support hormonal balance, particularly sex hormones like estrogen and testosterone, which play important roles in aging processes.
- Epigenetic Regulation: Nutrition can influence epigenetic regulation, the process by which gene expression is controlled.
- Calorie Restriction: Research suggests that having a measured practice of alternating fasting and eating windows may slow down the aging process by reducing oxidative stress and promoting cellular repair mechanisms.
- Hydration: Staying hydrated helps maintain cellular function, nutrient transportation, and waste removal, all of which contribute to healthy aging.
- Overall Dietary Pattern: Both healthy and unhealthy eating habits accumulate over time. Moderation is key, but consistently choosing whole, nutrient-dense foods can significantly impact your long-term health, wellness and life extension, especially as you age.
WHAT ARE LONGEVITY NUTRIENTS?
If you haven’t heard or truly absorbed the phrase “you are what you eat”, this blog might help you understand how important what you put into your body is for overall health, well-being, and lifespan. Avoiding chronic disease via nutrition and lifestyle is a definite possibility and a future you should pursue. Today, we know even more, such as how certain nutrients can support living well for longer, not just by avoiding disease but through reversing damage.
There are essential macro and micro nutrients for survival, such as proteins, carbohydrates, vitamin C, vitamin D, and others. Then there are phytochemicals, antioxidants, compounds, senolytics, and others aligned with the specific processes that reverse cellular damage and potentially extend the levels of health associated with youthfulness.
While the list of chemicals and compounds being studied is rather immense, there are a few “star-players” that I believe support cellular health, help avoid age-related disease, and activate longevity pathways.
These are the specific nutrients I’ve chosen to include in the longevity squad and why!
THE SERENA LOVES LONGEVITY SQUAD
These five new formulations have been curated with passion and care. They are the highest quality, most biocompatible forms of scientifically proven ingredients without unnecessary fillers or other poor-quality ingredients.
The key nutrients in these supplements include berberine and alpha lipoic acid (ALA) because of their efficacy when it comes to balancing blood sugar, promoting heart health, and boosting cellular health. These are all key to longevity, especially in our westernized culture. I’ve also highlighted taurine in my supplements due to recent studies and emerging studies on the possible role it plays in longevity when it comes to energy levels, antioxidant defenses, digesting fats, and supporting heart health. Finally I’d like to mention alpha-ketoglutarate and bioactive vitamin B6 (P5P) which contribute to optimal uptake of amino acids in the body’s tissues.
In conclusion …
The journey of life is not a predetermined path of decline but rather a dynamic process influenced by lifestyle choices. By altering your approach to eating, movement, mindset, relationships, and more, you have the power to reverse cellular damage, the root cause of aging. My hope is that these supplements can be another helpful tool to add to your toolbox. Something that can really help with your whole body system of health, which lends to increased lifespan and longevity!